Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn

Hyuuga Neji

Apr 19, 2006
over there <^v>
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
I know the subscription based mmorpg is a bit intimidating for most, but oh my god! This is not only a pretty game, but it's so much fun to play. Needless to say this reboot is an incredible comeback from the original failure of FFXIV.

Whether playing alone, with your free company (guild), or with friends, it's so easy to tell yourself "Okay after I finish this, I'll go to bed" and still end up playing for another couple of hours.

So far I've made my way up to level 20 as a Thaumaturge (mage) and every other level or so something new unlocks that makes you want to keep playing. Pretty soon I'll have my own personal giant chicken to ride and I'm super excited.

The only issue I have with this game is the dungeon queues. You're required to be in a party of 2 Damage Dealers, a tank and a healer. It's a great system to ensure you have a party capable of success. However, when it tries to match you with other people, unless you're a healer or a tank, you could be waiting a very long time.

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
I know the subscription based mmorpg is a bit intimidating for most, but oh my god! This is not only a pretty game, but it's so much fun to play. Needless to say this reboot is an incredible comeback from the original failure of FFXIV.

Whether playing alone, with your free company (guild), or with friends, it's so easy to tell yourself "Okay after I finish this, I'll go to bed" and still end up playing for another couple of hours.

So far I've made my way up to level 20 as a Thaumaturge (mage) and every other level or so something new unlocks that makes you want to keep playing. Pretty soon I'll have my own personal giant chicken to ride and I'm super excited.

The only issue I have with this game is the dungeon queues. You're required to be in a party of 2 Damage Dealers, a tank and a healer. It's a great system to ensure you have a party capable of success. However, when it tries to match you with other people, unless you're a healer or a tank, you could be waiting a very long time.
How long did it take to get to level 20?

Hyuuga Neji

Apr 19, 2006
over there <^v>
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
It didn't take too long. At least it didn't FEEL like it did. I split up the progress over a few weeks, shouldn't take more than a few hours though.

I unlocked my Chocobo the other day and I even started using gamepad mode. The play style between gamepad and keyboard are vastly different, however!

Nitz

Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
It didn't take too long. At least it didn't FEEL like it did. I split up the progress over a few weeks, shouldn't take more than a few hours though.

I unlocked my Chocobo the other day and I even started using gamepad mode. The play style between gamepad and keyboard are vastly different, however!
So what's easier/better between the gamepad and keyboard? pros and cons?

Hyuuga Neji

Apr 19, 2006
over there <^v>
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
With the gamepad, it's easier to look around in battle, but with the computer it's easier to target the enemy you want.
For instance, an archer can attack and move at the same time, and on the keyboard that uses 1234 and WASD. Both your left hand, but on gamepad, it's left analog stick and buttons with your right hand. So moving and attacking is easier. There's also a lock-on feature which makes it easier as well, but at the same time it's still easiest to use with a gamepad that way.

With a thaumaturge, casting abilities using 1234 is fine because moving while casting cancels your spell. The thing is, with thaumaturge your role is to deal damage, but you have a vital ability to put enemies to sleep (as long as they aren't attacked) so you'll want to easily be able to switch between targets, which favors the mouse and keyboard.

In general while exploring the map, I like to go in first person and sit back and chill, but while in dungeons and instances in which i'll be attacking many things (depending on class) I much prefer third person for the wider FoV as well as easier targeting.

Nitz

Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
Yeah for me it's all about getting used to the controls.

One reason why I hate playing different games right away. You finally learn the controls for one game and BOOM you gotta change it all up and remember the new games controls.