PSP PSP Tops 50 Million

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
PSP Tops 50 Million
Sony crosses major milestone in worldwide shipments
by John Tanaka

US, February 13, 2009 - The DS may be on the verge of 100 million in sales, but the PSP ain't doing too shabby itself. Sony announced today that, as of the end of January, worlwide shipments for the system have crossed the 50 million mark. This figure includes all systems shipped out to retailers.

The company did not split figures up by region, but in Japan, where the announcement was made, the PSP continues to remain a hot piece of hardware, placing second behind the DSi in weekly sales charts. Just yesterday, Capcom announced that Monster Hunter Portible Unite had crossed the three million mark in Japanese shipments (this figure includes shipments of a budget re-release version), becoming the first PSP title to go triple platinum over there.

Sony said today that total worldwide software sales for the PSP have, as of December 2008, crossed the 200 million mark. This figure is split across a total of 2,000 UMD-based releases.

In terms of download games, the company listed a total of 500 releases worldwide, including PlayStation classics avaialble for download via the Game Archives service.

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
I noticed A LOT of people have PSP. I wouldn't mind it myself actually. I know at my college lots of people have one. For games, music and heck I've seen some do some report homework on it LMAO!

At least sony is making a profit from somewhere, if it's NOT from PS3.

BTW, does anyone know if you can connect a PSP to a tv??