Wii Wii Owners to Upgrade to PS3?

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
Wii Owners to Upgrade to PS3?

Sony's House sees Nintendo's console as stepping stone for new gamers.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

UK, June 9, 2009 - A significant number of Wii users will eventually upgrade to a PlayStation 3, according to recent comments from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's newly appointed President Andrew House.

'If you look back at previous lifecycles, like PS2 versus N64, we have lots of data that suggests that lots of people bought into N64 as their entry level gaming device, and were happy to upgrade to a more powerful machine later in the life cycle when the price point was right for them,' said House in an interview with Edge Online.

'I think we're going to see this later on PS3, and the fact that it's a Blu-ray player as well and that there's a [greater] wealth of network based experiences than are perhaps available on the device they already have will add to the proposition. I think that will definitely be a factor in the marketplace.'

Elsewhere in the interview, House remained coy about the possibility of a price cut for the PlayStation 3 in Europe, despite mounting speculation that the console will see a $100 reduction in the US later this year. 'The great thing for me is that European consumers have understood the total value proposition that you get with PS3, not focused solely on pricing' said House, 'We will have to constantly monitor that and make adjustments when all the factors come into play and make the right decisions at the right time.'

E.V.

Jul 5, 2006
Miami
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
Wait a second... the makers of the PS3 said that they think people who owned previous game systems will buy a PS3?!?! OH MY GOD! THAT IS SO AMAZING! It's not like they're just trying to make people think that their game system is the best.

That thing they mentioned about N64 and PS2 might have something to do with the fact that the PS2 came out 5 years later. Just a guess, since most people would probably want something new after 5 years, since they more or less stop making new games for the 5 year old system by that point. Sony is just trying to make people think "Wow, everyone wants a PS3, I'm gonna get one!"

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
Actually... it seems like anyone that buys a wii also later buys a 360 or ps3.... Seems like wii doesn't satisfy people after awhile.

Only the games and interaction play is saving it.

E.V.

Jul 5, 2006
Miami
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
From what I've seen, Nintendo games tend to have a very high replay value, while 360 and PS3 games seem to have a "play once then throw out" kind of thing. What I see is more with Wii users going to 360, very few go to PS3, probably because the 360 was out for about a year before the Wii, so it has more games. Honestly, how many good 360 games have been made in the past year or two that didn't end with a number at the end of it to indicate that it was a sequel to an early xbox game?

Nitz

Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
From what I've seen, Nintendo games tend to have a very high replay value, while 360 and PS3 games seem to have a "play once then throw out" kind of thing. What I see is more with Wii users going to 360, very few go to PS3, probably because the 360 was out for about a year before the Wii, so it has more games. Honestly, how many good 360 games have been made in the past year or two that didn't end with a number at the end of it to indicate that it was a sequel to an early xbox game?
true. But I wouldn't say they are a throw out game... I know some wii games people just wanna throw out too.

Wii just seems to have good classic games from the past, which everyone was so fond of.

Nitz

Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
Well today I talked to somone, who got a 360 when it came out and just recently got a wii. They said it was alright, but the gameplay sucks... and unless you GET better games the wii is crap.

So as we can tell, the GAMES are what make wii a better console. The interactivity is just an extra option.

I know myself, I wouldn't want to play a game 3am and have to jump around or move around :p

Good old controllers :D

E.V.

Jul 5, 2006
Miami
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
N64 - March 1, 1997
PS2 - November 24, 2000

Let me guess, you pressed the wrong keys again? lol ^^

Look, it came out in june 1996. I'm not basing my dates on when they might have came out for wherever you live, I'm going with just the release date in general. PS2 came out March 2000.
please stop trying to insult my intelligence.

DevilsCry

Oct 11, 2006
In TLS's Room
Zenny
Look, it came out in june 1996. I'm not basing my dates on when they might have came out for wherever you live, I'm going with just the release date in general. PS2 came out March 2000.
please stop trying to insult my intelligence.

Thats okay, i don't have to insult your intelligence since you are doing that yourself already.
Since you don't live in Japan, those dates don't mean shit.
You should ask your intelligence next time to search for 10 seconds, you could have had the right information ;)

^ Technically and verbally no insults :p

E.V.

Jul 5, 2006
Miami
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
Thats okay, i don't have to insult your intelligence since you are doing that yourself already.
Since you don't live in Japan, those dates don't mean shit.
You should ask your intelligence next time to search for 10 seconds, you could have had the right information ;)

^ Technically and verbally no insults :p

Fine you want me to go by the release date where I live? It was N64 - Sep. 1996, PS2 - October 2000. Still 4 years. Either frikin way, It doesn't matter. And if you plan to use the arguement "You don't live there so you can't use those dates!" then don't tell me my information is wrong because wherever you live had different release dates.

DevilsCry

Oct 11, 2006
In TLS's Room
Zenny
Stop trying, please. You made a mistake, just be man enough to face the music and admit it.

Fine you want me to go by the release date where I live?

No i didn't, but you can't bring in the release times of Japan into this, just to get closer to the 'fact' you mentioned before. Thats just silly.

Still 4 years. Either frikin way, It doesn't matter. And if you plan to use the arguement "You don't live there so you can't use those dates!" then don't tell me my information is wrong because wherever you live had different release dates.

I never planned that arguement, but if you want to float this boat: where i live has the exact same release dates as they are talking about, because i live in Europe aswell.

Oh no Uncle Devil, did he just talk about facts while he should have been talking in general, while trying to bash the Playstation people? Why yes little Timmy, he did.

Cruentus

Jul 9, 2007
*points to map* HERE!
Zenny

I agree with that E.V. I personally own all three systems (Wii, PS3 and XBpx 360 respectively.) And I seem to find myself playing Wii more often. I'm sorry, some games for X-Box (ie "Prototype" which is my most recent) Were fun the first go around, but after that...You kind of know what is going to happen. Where I find Wii games (We'll go with "Punch Out"), is fun to play more than once. It seems to take less of the 'thinking' aspect of the game, and turns it into more of a strategy/reflex game.

Nitz

Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
Unless the Wii gets better games instead of crappy kids games, Id think they'd move on to a PS3.
I dunno... do you consider All the Mario games eg. mario kart, SSB, mario rpg kids games? I mean I consider ANY SNES re-made game a good game. I loved those games then and I love them now.

Unless they are making new kiddie games, that's different I guess. But, I know I liked the older games. But, I do agree that Wii "seems" like it's more kiddie related compared to ps3 n 360.

E.V.

Jul 5, 2006
Miami
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
here's a thing I've noticed. The Wii does make more kids games than the PS3 and Xbox, but they usually have a non-kids game released for every kids game, so it's about equal. All Xbox has going for it right now are FPS games and PS3 got the RPG games. Though the good series they had (FF, Metal Gear, Ect.) are going to Xbox now, which takes away a major portion of anything the PS3 had going for it. (Which I find funny because they started with nintendo, went to sony, and now are with microsoft. Just going through the companies.)

Cruentus

Jul 9, 2007
*points to map* HERE!
Zenny
here's a thing I've noticed. The Wii does make more kids games than the PS3 and Xbox, but they usually have a non-kids game released for every kids game, so it's about equal. All Xbox has going for it right now are FPS games and PS3 got the RPG games. Though the good series they had (FF, Metal Gear, Ect.) are going to Xbox now, which takes away a major portion of anything the PS3 had going for it. (Which I find funny because they started with nintendo, went to sony, and now are with microsoft. Just going through the companies.)

As you said, all X-Box has going for it are FPS games. Yeah, that's true MOST of X-Box games are FPS games. But what happens when I mention the new Street Fighter, or Soul Caliber four? I don't believe those are FPS. As for the PS3, I only have about 2 games for it, and both are RPG, I mostly use at a Blue-Ray player.

Chibu

Oct 7, 2022
Zenny
I upgraded to Playstation 3 when it came out. I had the privilege of playing on all of the Playstation console. I started playing on Playstation 5 not long ago.