How to embed Flash Games.

KoNaStAr

Feb 7, 2006
Zenny
Alright, First off, here's the code in it's entirety. I'm going to take a few steps to explain how it works so you'll know how to use it without just copying/pasting each time.

(Note: At the beginning of the code you'll need to use a < symbol, right before the word " embed ". I had to delete it for the purpose of this FAQ, because if it's there, the flash game just appears.)
<div class='codetop'></div><div class='codemain'>

embed src="LINK GOES HERE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480"></embed></div>

Now then, where it says LINK GOES HERE, you paste a direct URL to the flash, an example being :
<div class='codetop'></div><div class='codemain'>

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/carlosdelangoese/Flash/towerofmoai.swf</div>

The part that says type="application/x-shockwave-flash" just specifies that this is a flash object that's being embedded, but there's a possibility that it's un-necessary, I haven't tested that yet. Feel free to remove it and try that though.

Now, obviously, width and height are the resolution the game will display itself in. Try to keep it at the same ratio as the resolution the game is intended to be played in, if not the same exact resolution. If you don't know where to start, just put the width to 640 and the height to 480, then toy around with it after that until it looks right.

The point of this FAQ is for you all to be able to post your own games; originally we were going to make it so only admins had the ability to even post in the arcade, but we decided it'd be better to let people talk about the games they're playing, so that means you also have the ability to post a game yourself. If the FAQ has been hard to understand or anything, give me a PM here on the site, or drop me an IM on AIM; I'll be glad to help you understand it better.

KoNaStAr

Feb 7, 2006
Zenny
Yes, if the Arcade became post-restricted, Global/Super Mods would be allowed to post games, just not members at regular status. However for now we're going to leave it open and see how it works with people being allowed to comment.

KoNaStAr

Feb 7, 2006
Zenny
Well you can post games that you've created, but you can use some from other sites, but I don't have rules for that yet...

Well...I haven't thoroughly considered how to handle this. The japanese game I posted is obviously made by japanese people so I doubt they'll care if we borrow their game. The other game currently in arcade is from a site that has free flash games for people like us to use.

However, stuff at newgrounds.com tends to be created FOR newgrounds.com, and maybe other sites, but a lot of the times it'll have a screen in the flash that says it's for newgrounds/whatever site only. For now, let's make this the general rule of thumb...

If it's from Newgrounds.com or a site like that, mirror it at Imageshack or something like that, and go ahead and post it here. However, make sure you link to the actual page where the game is located on newgrounds.com , and include the name of the author in the game's topic along with the link.

KoNaStAr

Feb 7, 2006
Zenny
Right...knowing the author is fine and dandy, but we still can't leech Newgrounds bandwidth, so you'll still have to mirror it somewhere.

KoNaStAr

Feb 7, 2006
Zenny
Zayne, I think you're missing the point I'm stressing to you. The game could be at any website, newgrounds, albinoblacksheep, jibjab or joecartoon, I'm just saying you should upload it somewhere else, not direct link/hotlink. As I've said twice, knowing the author is fine, and having permission is fine; if he's fine with it, post the game, just as long as you aren't using another site's bandwidth.

Winged Fantasy

Jul 21, 2006
Zenny
So what If the game thats on a website doesnt show a direct link to just the game, not the website too. How do we get it?

KoNaStAr

Feb 7, 2006
Zenny
Go to View>Source in Opera, and I'm not sure what the menu to get to it is in FireFox or IE, but you want to view the page's source; this will open up the page in it's rawest form, pure text, and you can search for the link to the flash file. Then, just go to photobucket/imageshack/whatever you use, any of them have features like " Add from URL " instead of uploading from your comp. You can paste in the URL and just upload them that way, or, if you absolutely want to save the game, paste the link in a topic here at novagamers, then right click>save as, and save the game that way.

I hope this has been helpful in responding to your question, I try my hardest not to be a confusing person when I explain things, but if I have confused you feel free to IM me on AIM/MSN, I will help further.