Anyone done any programming?

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
Anyone? If so, what languages? Share experiences here.

I'm thinking of learning a programming language (Probably C++ or VB.net) with the eventual goal of creating a game. I'm sure it will take a while though.

F.Y.C.N.

Mar 19, 2006
randominsanity.smackjeeves.com
Zenny
<span style="color:DarkOrchid">I've been interested in it, but it can get pretty advanced in order to come up with anything remotely decent with it. I'm just too lazy. :p My brother's big on that shit though, he's actually worked on entire operating systems and interfaces for computers.

You talking about gaming-related programming? Because that has to be hell for some folks.</span>

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
Yeah. I do have some experience, but it's not going to help much. I know Basic, but that's pretty outdated, plus I'm a bit rusty. So that's why I have to learn something new. And I'm sure I'll run into problems along the way... especially when it comes to finding the graphics I need. And yes, I'm pretty lazy too... but I feel like this is just something I have to do. I'm still not 100% sure which language(s) I'm going to learn... but I think I'm going to start with C++.... I think.

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
You really know all that?! I wasn't counting HTML, but I know that too. Basic and HTML...

So do you think it's a good idea to start with C++?
cause I've also been considering Lua... just didn't mention it.
What do you think?

And what is Ruby used for anyway? I keep hearing about Ruby on Rails, but I don't know its purpose.

Anyway, I asked my brother about VB.net today. He has a class in school for it, but he says it sucks. He claims they teach him useless things and that it's hard.
I wanted to take the class when I was still in HS, but they canceled it cause no one wanted to or could teach it. And now they started the class after I graduated.

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
<div class='quotetop'>(Zayne.H;18798)</div><div class='quotemain'>They are different.</div>

k, so that wasn't the same Ruby...

Now what's the difference between Ruby and Ruby on Rails?

Also...

Steph, what program (aka compiler) did you use when you learned it?

Zayne, what compiler do you think is best?

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
Ah ok. Any ideas about the command prompt window disappearing?

<div class='codetop'></div><div class='codemain'>//my program

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
/* lalalalalalala
lalalalalalalalala
LOL WUT*/
int main ()
{ cout << "Wat's up lol "; system("pause");
  cout << "Wat's up lol "; system("pause");
  cout << "Wat's up lol "; system("pause"); return 0; }
//wtf?
//lol
/*hey wtf?!*/</div>

Just started last night.
Using this tutorial
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/program_structure.html

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
That was C++. You should have known that.
<div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'>Multidimensional arrays are not limited to two indices (i.e., two dimensions). They can contain as many indices as needed. But be careful! The amount of memory needed for an array rapidly increases with each dimension. For example:

char century [100][365][24][60][60];

declares an array with a char element for each second in a century, that is more than 3 billion chars. So this declaration would consume more than 3 gigabytes of memory!</div>

Woah...