Graphics

Zefrid

May 23, 2007
Zenny
Maybe I was so blown away from the change of graphics because I just got done playing 3 hours of Brood War but wow. At first I was a bit skeptical that it was so "NextGen" when it came to the graphics but they had to do something to UP it I guess. I have to keep telling myself that it's been what? 9 to 10 years since brood war? So obviously there was going to be some BIG changes in the graphic department. Honestly for myself I don't think that the fact that I'm going to have to get used to my old favorite units being cut out of the game and some strange new ones being put in is going to be my problem. It's the graphics. My eyes are going to be looking at all the pretty flashy things rather than the massive army that is about to pummel my base. Anyone agree with me?

DemonBanisher54

Feb 8, 2006
Zenny
lol yeah for a while I think we're all going to just be sitting there admiring the doodads, animations, and all that.. but I'm sure it won't be long till we're completely focused :D

I think it's great that they're keeping the same amount of units as Broodwar. Yeah, I'm sad to see the dragoon go.. and the dark templar, but their replacements will be fun to play with and give the game a new feel. New strategies and such.

Anyone else love the new zealots? they're so badass

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
Im actually quite disappointed with the blizzard screenshots. Having seen this starcraft 2 video on google about 6 months ago, I expected the graphics to be much more amazing.

My only complaint is that the zerglings looked like cute things in starcraft, and yet in the starcraft 2 video, they look like maggots!

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
that's not even sc2 though. it's a mod of some other game...

imo it looks great..

I know, it looks very 'command & conquer' like... but it set certain standards for me with regard to graphics and stuff.

Anyways, ill have to wait for the real thing before i pass judgement on it... somehow, i dont think im going to be disappointed.

Zefrid

May 23, 2007
Zenny
Interesting video... Slow mo part was pretty badass. But what was it that disappointed you though? IMO the blizzard video is alot better than that other one. But again I must say... Slow mo part was pretty badass:cool:

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
Well to be honest, i hadnt actually seen the blizzard video, i had just seen their screenshots... and they looked very cartoony, not very realistic (as all blizzard games seem to be).

Having now seen the blizzard gameplay video, im DYING to get my hands on sc2! The whole 3d thing looks absolutely amazing.

Mind you, i still think they could improve the realism of the game by not using such bright colours.

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
Im not sure, but it looks too good to be a mod of another game. Maybe it was the alpha version before they got all the textures applied?

Yeah, that's a mod they did of the Command&Conquer Generals game, but I heard Blizzard got them to stop it.

FatAlbert

Feb 10, 2006
Zenny
It dosent matter to me, id rather have engaging story than siper graphics and no story. Danw of war did good they made a combo of having great graphics and story, Im sure blizzard will do the ssame, and dont forget blizzard wants everyone to be able to play not just high end comp players (which are the minority)

Zefrid

May 23, 2007
Zenny
blizzard wants everyone to be able to play not just high end comp players (which are the minority)

Wow.. I have this strange feeling now that I know I'm a minority. lol

My question though is how old that mod is. I mean it looks damn near close when it comes to the buildings and units to the actual real SC2. How did they know what stuff looked like?

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
In Starcraft 2, the designs for each unit and building has been slightly changed from SC1, if you look closely. Best example is the Terran Marine, it's got different proportions and a new weapon.

Now, if you look at the C&C Generals mod done by Project Evolution, they've simply used their imagination and probably a lot of cinematic artwork from Starcraft ( and perhaps Starcraft Ghost ingame screenshots ), and built everything how they believed it would look.

While some models seem blocky to me, I would definetely not mind playing a game looking like that. But now that I've seen the SC2 demo from Blizzard, I think SC2 looks three generations' worth better.

Bring it on! En taro Blizzard.

Ramee

May 15, 2006
uniiq.gogetforum.com
Zenny
At the first time, I was a little dissapointed becouse of that Warcraft III cartoon stiled look.
Now, when I wach this 500MB presentation, I can tell that I realy like how the zergs are looking. The terrain and the asteroids are great textured.
Still, it'a a too cartony for now (especialy when you look on the blue protos units), I hope that Blizzard will pute much more dirtines in final release.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
All of the new units appear shiny and new, not the grity rough looks of the traditional units that add to the realism. I think they need to turn down the lights a little and give us some more battle-scarred looks. Even in the cinematic, the marine suit that Tychus is put into is a recycled piece of junk... There is still time for adjustments, but I think some things may already be set in stone.

But, changed or not, they are still amazing. I think I can live with this. My favorite feature has to be the multi-layered backrounds, like the one in the gameplay video, with the planet in the far distance and the asteroids floating somewhere between.

Also, there is still no creep to be seen... Or the beautifully hideous zerg structures. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Alright, fine. The protoss can stay nice and shiny. We'll see how long that lasts. Do you know how hard it is to get zergling guts out of that armor? Not to mention hydralisk acid...