New Units..New Look

Zefrid

May 23, 2007
Zenny
Whats everyone think about them? From what I've read with how certain new units are turtling is pretty much blown out of the picture. Not to mention that now maybe going mass lings might actually be a so-so strategy rather than a desperation move.

sethtodeath

Feb 8, 2006
Zenny
One of the things I noticed that bothered me was the zealots' blades. They seem too small. I don't mind the fact that it's glowing blue. It just seems too...short. Another thing are the tanks. They just look ugly. To me it looks too much like a cartoon. Some changes are good but I think that is just too much.

DemonBanisher54

Feb 8, 2006
Zenny
lol yeah. I do like the animation of when they're setting up their cannon though.

I think all the terran buildings look kinda.. plastic. meh. it'll take some getting used to, that's for sure. And who knows, maybe they're not even done texturing yet.

Zefrid

May 23, 2007
Zenny
:nuke: Woo!! :nuke: Are there any videos with the nuke being used? I'd love to see what it looks like.

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
After seeing the cinematic teaser and game demo, I can say that they've really brought the unit designs from the 90s, into the 21st century. Everything seems more intricate, more utilitarian, and also gritty and used, the way it should be.

I just hope the game gets done this year. Now that I know it's in the making, I can't wait to be Executor again.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Personally, I love the new look of the zerglings. it makes them look like a swarm of locusts. I was just overcome with glee to watch them flow around helpless units and buildings as they explode in blood and fire. ^^

The new marines will take a little getting used to. The shield addition seems too clunky to me. I think the bayonettes are a good idea, though. How better to repel those close range zerglings?

As for the new siege tanks... No comment.

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
I have been kinda dissappointed from a lot of the stuff i saw in the demo:(

the new zealot looks too soft. the old one was all about solid look and solid sound. the new one is flowing everywhere. even flowing hair for gods sake.

marines look a lot cooler wielding a battle-rifle with both hands. in my opinion.

i didnt like it that reapers use duel pistols....they feel like a cross from jump jet troops from tiberium sun and tomb raider.

zerglings i have the same complaints as the zealots. they used to look solid and sound solid, now they look like the ones from starcraft ghost.

the tanks and buildings for the terrans look horrible. i agree that they look like plastic

Im however extremely happy with the rest of the stuff

dragoons(immortals) look a lot more awesome. wish they didnt change the weapons tho:(

nydus worms bursting out of the ground was a pretty cool bit of animation.

nukes are a lot cooler. they actually feel like missiles now!

ghost attack sound sounds a lot better, like an actual gun.

the drop ship unloading animation looks cool, but its slowness is gonna be a disadvantage for future sc2 terran players

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
I think that there is a limit to how "solid" a 3D model can be made in this game because of the need for incredible numbers of units onscreen at a time. The original game's hand-painted sprites will always hold a special place in our memories. I think we're all just a little disappointed that this new Starcraft is not the Starcraft we know. I'm sure in time we'll get used to it. (Except those tanks...)

Also, Nuclear Strikes now are a bit more apparent it seems... You'd have to be blind to miss that target. Luckily the missles seem to impact much quicker to help balance this.

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
Also, Nuclear Strikes now are a bit more apparent it seems... You'd have to be blind to miss that target. Luckily the missles seem to impact much quicker to help balance this.

Im kinda worried about this. Previously, when you heard 'nuclear launch detected' you would have to run around looking for the tiny red dot. This was good, as it meant more often than not, the nuke would actually launch before its location was found.
But now, because the indicator is so big, the opponent will just bring a detector and concentrate all firepower on the ghost... ie he will die before the nuke launches!

This better not be the case :mad:

FatAlbert

Feb 10, 2006
Zenny
Agreed, the terrans are my second side, and i loved the way my opponents immediately had to sop what they were doing and search for my nuke dot, lol most of the time they never found it. i had it happen to me once, on one of my red buildings.... i never found it. and on certain zer buildings that had natural red marks, it was hard to find. but then again those nukes hit in less than 6 seconds, in sc 1 it took about 10, so it is balanced out.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Judging from the gameplay video the nukes drop as much as 4 seconds faster. This may be a major advantage as long detectors are not readily available in the area. They will have very little time to respond.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
damn those nukes are fucking awesome!

but yeah, im all for the new stuff, alittle worried about terran buildings, but just look at those nydus worms man! and the collosus is an incredible addition both in gameplay and looks. The most scrutany i have heard as of now is from my traditionalist freinds, who refuse to except the new shielded marines. I remain passively neutral, i neither like nor dislike the shields, tho i agree with blades of auir that the bayonetts add alot of zergling-sticking flavour to the hardcore battles of a marine, and it looks cool. I have faith they will bring it all together, a little toony, but im open to new ideas.