Protoss - Invisible Carrier Fleet

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
This is my favourite way to go when I play skirmishes. It's a slower strategy that takes a while to develop, and you are vulnerable to agressive players that keep sending in troops. But once it's up and running, you're unstoppable.

Best played in team-games, where you have your ally to defend you while you pile up on your tech and fleet.

Here goes:

I build up a basic defense of 3-4 Photon Cannons, which I back-up with up to 6 Zealots, then I focus on going up the Tech-Tree. It's good to have a lot of Probes on minerals and gas to get a budget going.

During this time, it's a good idea to spread to another base for two reasons:
- more income ( Protoss are expensive, and this strategy will burn your pockets );
- a backup base in case your main base is destroyed;

Immediately go for Stargate and the upgrade for 8 Interceptors from the Fleet Beacon. Then crank out 2 Carriers with which to patrol your base. By this time you will be under attack and your initial defenses may not be enough.

Once you have 3-4 upgraded Carriers, build another Stargate to get Carriers out faster, and go get the Arbiter requirements complete. Now, build two Arbiters from your new Stargate, while with the other Stargate you should have about 6 Carriers by now in total.

You're Carriers should be enough to defend your base so far, and with two Arbiters, they will be invisible. Mark the Carriers with CTRL-1 and the Arbiters with CTRL-2 ( because Arbiters travel at different speed, you need to control each group differently, and make sure they remain clustered together at all times ).

This is your attack fleet: 6-7 Carriers and 2 Arbiters ( because one is not enough, could get shot out and expose your Carriers ); Having an observer standing by is good if you face cloaked units ( Wraiths, enemy Arbiters ), so mark it CTRL-3 and keep it on your fleet's tail.

While you plunder your enemy, don't stop producing another fleet just like this one, both for defense and both for backup in case you lose too many of your first fleet.

That's about it. This strat will work great versus turtle-types, but beware the zerg Scourge and Queen, they can mess it up bad if you're not careful. Carriers fare great against base defenses, because unless ordered to, they won't attack the Carriers themselves, but the Interceptors ( which get repaired each time they dock ).

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
this is what i used to do:) nothing looks better than a fleet of carriers launching an interceptor wave. but this is kinda dangerous to rushers.

i once saw a master player from korea use medics to blind all the observers following the carriers and then chase them down with cloaked wraiths, it was amazing

Anino

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
hi, im new...

anyway here are my thoughts on that strat. a good terran player can defend against an attack like that. a couple of science vessels would be enough to pop the shields of your units, and make the arbiters moot. a handful of ghosts would lockdown the carriers, and if there are enough goliaths or valkyries then they're up for easy picking. no disrespect intended.

i suggest sending a buffer wave, like feeding a dozen scouts to lockdown and to knockdown any early defense they have. i'd like to know, how early can you pull this off?

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
i think it is an all around good strat, but there are plenty of weeknesses, for one u could mind control the arbitors, exposing their carriers and turning ur units invis, then u could, also use a dark swarm to protect ur base and take out the carriers w/ w/e ranged ground u have.

it just shows how well blizzard balanced this game, no strat is perfect. :p

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
brainwasher: Never ever play against Koreeans, they're too creative when it comes to Starcraft.

Anino: That's why I said this strategy works best in teams, when the other player can back you up. I can usually gather 6 carriers+2 arbiters in about ... oh, say, 20-25 minutes. Never recorded it, so can't say for certain. Depends how heavily I'm attacked.

brainwasher5: Ghosts -> Hence the Observers, as I noted; Scourge -> Hence the backup Arbiter and the Carriers travelling in front of the pack; A pro wouldn't fall for those. In theory.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy: Agreed. There are ways to go around this strategy, but overall I'd say it's pretty solid.

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
Ive had this pulled on me multiple times... the longest the arbiters last is about 3 seconds, because initially all firepower is concentrated on them. Ive never seen this strategy do any major damage, except when the fleet is met outside the enemies base... in this case, the enemy's army is normally wiped out.

This strat works best on n00bs, who panic because of the inivisible carriers and normally just give up after about 10 seconds.

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
brainwasher: Never ever play against Koreeans, they're too creative when it comes to Starcraft.

Anino: That's why I said this strategy works best in teams, when the other player can back you up. I can usually gather 6 carriers+2 arbiters in about ... oh, say, 20-25 minutes. Never recorded it, so can't say for certain. Depends how heavily I'm attacked.

brainwasher5: Ghosts -> Hence the Observers, as I noted; Scourge -> Hence the backup Arbiter and the Carriers travelling in front of the pack; A pro wouldn't fall for those. In theory.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy: Agreed. There are ways to go around this strategy, but overall I'd say it's pretty solid.

thats y u got medics to blind them...u'd be surprised at how many ppl dont take optic flare seriously

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
I agree. Optical flare is a seriously underused ability. And, generally speaking, it does seem like a waste of resources with or no promise for return.Only select units are truly worth blinding, and even then, it may just be easier to just kill them.

I have used this strategy myself and I can also say that any competent player will quickly dispose of the Arbiters. But, I can also say, that the carriers are still a formidable force of their own accord. Not to say that they can't be gunned down by concentrated fire.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Yeah... Scourge will never be outdated. Like any strategy, this one has its flaws. You just have to hope your opponent isn't expecting it.

I don't like to use mass Devourers just because once the enemy air forces are wiped out they really have nothing left to do. The exception is against Zerg where they can hunt down Overlords to the ends of the Earth.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
i cant wait for the banelings, ground scourgies will be awesome.
my buddies agree. i always wondered why the scourges couldnt just fly into a ground unit and blow it up... oh well...

combine all these guys together and u get banelings, not to mention this pic is awesome.

Fortheswarm.jpg

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
a glowing spiky green ball with sinews and muscle expose all over its luminessent organs.

i'd be scared...

anyway, i thibk theyr takin out infested terrans, either that or addin in infested toss. because it gives the zerg an advantage over terrans and not the protoss, and a reason to attack terrans only in an ffa

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
who ever got scared by a cute green ball rolling slowly toward you?
Obviously, you haven't played against the Zerg in Starcraft II, yet. Neither have I, but after a few baneling rushes, you won't be saying that again. :p

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
Well, yeah... That's to add drama. It's heck of a lot scarier when you see it coming, and you know what its packing. And there's a shitload of it.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Who ever got scared by a cute green ball rolling slowly toward you?

I get the feeling that this is one of those statements that will force you to eat your words. Seems very similar to such popular ones as:
What's the worst that could happen?
What could possibly go wrong?