Something old, something new, something borrowed...

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
I have been thinking for a while how Blizzard can bring back more of the old units with a new feel, as they did the Zealots. Could it be possible/feasable to say that many of the passive abilties featured in the Warcraft series be carried into starcraft? Some seem logical to have for certain units.

Cleave (strike multiple units) for Ultralisks. Immolation (damage to nearby enemies) for Archons. Critical Strike (chance for x2 damage) for Ghosts. Poison (damage over time) for Hydralisks. Evasion (chance to dodge) for Dark Templar. Shields (reduced damage from ranged) for Marines.

What other abilities could possibly be given to units, new or old?

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
Something like Fear would be cool, when facing someone like Kerrigan for example. There's a 33% chance for any non-machine unit to be afraid and run away.

This certainly is a creative conversation, however the problem is the following:

This is starting to sound like an RPG, there's a solid chance Blizzard won't go this way with Starcraft II.

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
This is starting to sound like an RPG, there's a solid chance Blizzard won't go this way with Starcraft II.
True, but there was a bit of this going on already on starcraft: splash damage (for seige tanks, Infested Terrans, devourer etc).

But i think your right, they dont want to narrow it down so much on a unit level so that it feels like an RPG, its going to be more universe based i think, ie upper ground does more damage when fighting units on a lower ground level (maybe even chance of evasion?) etc etc

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
if they add too many abilities it'd turn out to be like warcraft 3 which i think is the worst game blizzard ever made.

i think they should put some classical ones in, such as splash damage, but should leave the rest out.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
At least certain features should be carried over from Warcraft. Just some small mechanical things like:

Being able to set a rally point on minerals for workers.
An "idle workers" button.
Being able to use a unit's abilities while in a group.
Can set multiple upgrades on the stack to be researched.

Also, I would just like to state that I believe Warcraft was a fine game. It was not Startcraft. It was never intended to be like Starcraft. It is a game focused much more on quality than quantity and a lot more micromanagement. Please don't dislike it just because it is different. If there is some legitimate reason for why you dislike Warcraft, brainwasher, then I would be glad to hear it.

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
sorry, i didnt mean to offend u. its just that i missed rushing and good old unit bashing in warcraft:(

the one thing i can say of warcraft being better than starcraft is the cinematics:)

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
Being able to set a rally point on minerals for workers.
An "idle workers" button.
Being able to use a unit's abilities while in a group.
Can set multiple upgrades on the stack to be researched.

Yes yes yes YES! Going from Age of Empires to Starcraft, you just notice so many control deficiencies. All of the above are really need.

Although battlecruisers can do their yamato when selected as a group.

I can just see it now... multi-yamato on a mothership :D

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
lol yeah, that reminds me in the showing when the mothership opened a black hole the battlecruisers getting sucked in managed to shoot one more yamato and it owned the mothership...set it on fire and all

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Personally, I would also like it to be set so using an ability while in a group causes only one (presumably the nearest one) to use it. This can allow for much more effective use of Psionic Storm, Spawn Broodlings, and Yamato Cannons as you can select an different target for each unit instead of several wasting their energy.

If other prefer it differently, maybe that could be a changeable setting.

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
same:)

i was also thinking that a group casting an area-of-effect spells will be spaced out i.e a single high templar is a3x3 storm and 9 templars turns it into a 9x9(not 27x27 as the advantage would be too big). wouldnt that be cool?

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
i like that idea, a group with the same ability could put their stregnth together and make a BIG version, like if defiliers cast a bigger dark swarm, that would be so kikass! u could guard ur whole base against air and just consume lings for mana. that is genious brainwasher!

it would help prevent u from overlapping abilities, which also could be a bad thing, what if u wanted to make a really potent psionic storm over a smaller group of unit?

which leads me to think, it could have a multiplier effect, gets bigger and more potent as u add more units to the spell.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Psionis storm does not harm enemy buildings. You can shred through all of the troops you want, but your Templars will be left with nothing to do but sit around the enemy base and wait for the attack force to arrive.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Of course. We bring in the puny little casters and THEN the bulk of the army. Kinda funny. This seems to go against all logical rationale. In any other situation I should think this would be reversed.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
Psionis storm does not harm enemy buildings. You can shred through all of the troops you want, but your Templars will be left with nothing to do but sit around the enemy base and wait for the attack force to arrive.

LIES u arcon warp them fool, while he is replacing his doomed troops, u turn into archons with no losses (there is no one left to attack the archons) and mop-up. it's unbeatable :D

i know its not unbeatable. shut up