Race to the finish?

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
One thing that concerns me about the new Starcraft design is the Protoss mothership. I believe it is a fun addition, but it makes me question something. Will all of the races have some equivalent? Does each race now have some massive flying unit to acquire? If so, does this turn the game into a race to get your uber-unit?

I have faith in Blizzard and I doubt they will overlook this with all the scrutiny they put upon all of thier games. But what can match the might of the mothership? Will the zerg have a massive structure and the terrans a massive ground unit?

Or (more likely) will they balance this by giving the zerg a new mass of units to rival the power of the solitary mothership and the terrans some great(er) nuclear capabilities?

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
They said somewhere that the other races will NOT have a superunit like the Mothership, but they're balanced out differently. I have to agree with you, Blades of Aiur, each race having the Supreme unit would suck and would be a headache ( like it was in Supreme Commander, ouchie ).

Now if you think about it, a Lockdown would shut that mother up, so it's not such a big deal. Even an EMP would make it vulnerable, without shields and energy points. Though I don't know what the Zerg could do about it, the Scourges could easily be wiped out with the Timebomb ability.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Each race should have something that specifies what it is. The mothership is the embodiment of the protoss: terribly expensive, supreme firepower, massive abilities, and stand-alone. The zerg will likely have thier traditional massing and will have something that exemplifies that (better spawn broodlings abilities perhaps?). Terrans... are a little tougher to define. They are more balanced in their ways. Perhaps a mobile bunker of sorts? Load them all into your heavily armored vehicles and mop up some zerglings.

DemonBanisher54

Feb 8, 2006
Zenny
I think it's great that blizzard can balance out such a massive ship without giving each race it's own super unit. personally, I wouldn't like it much if the only way to counter the mothership was to build a zerg mothership or w/e they would call it.

Hmm.. thinking of ways to counter it.. I wonder if the zerg scourge will make a return in sc2. Just about the only unit that's the same on the protoss side that I've seen is the zealot. Dragoons are gone, corsairs are most likely gone.. scouts most likely gone. carriers most likely gone.

Crosby

May 1, 1998
Zenny
Though I don\'t know what the Zerg could do about it, the Scourges could easily be wiped out with the Timebomb ability.
Zerg would use defiler. Also, the timebomb only lasts for so long, after that, its vulnerable to scourge.

EMP + Plague = Instant Pwnage
forums

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Hmm.. thinking of ways to counter it.. I wonder if the zerg scourge will make a return in sc2. Just about the only unit that's the same on the protoss side that I've seen is the zealot. Dragoons are gone, corsairs are most likely gone.. scouts most likely gone. carriers most likely gone.

Blizzard said they would only keep units that were essential or iconic to starcraft. What is starcraft without carriers? Archons? Psionic storm? I think there are several things we have yet to see for the protoss still.

As for scourge... Am I the only one that finds the prospect of banelings + scourge a little frightening? lol I fear for my expensive protoss units...

FatAlbert

Feb 10, 2006
Zenny
ohhh, i combo of the two equals me saying gg to you before you even know i have them, thats how destructive that would be, especially if i put a screen right in front fo them.

DemonBanisher54

Feb 8, 2006
Zenny
well, overloading the new flying unit (the one that's not the warp ray...) would quickly eliminate a scourge invasion. And for the banelings, I bet you the immortal's heavy shields will deploy.

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
We know for certain that the High Templar and the Psionic Storm will be back. Could that mean the return of the Archon aswell? I do hope Carriers are still in, though with the addition of the Phoenix, I'm not sure.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
The Archon must return! Who else will say "power overwhelming" every time I click on him? That, and nothing is more formidable than a swarm of Archons in an opponents base. Except, of course, for a swarm of Carriers in the same place.

Who says only zerg can do massing?

smiley170

Feb 11, 2006
Zenny
Would be cool if the Archon would say the new cheat for invulnerability. It would be like clicking it continuously: "We are one" "I am needed" "My energy is yours" "Direct my wrath" ... And then, when he's annoyed: "Who's your daddy"

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
i've heard that archons wont be in the new game:( and neither would be the carriers....the two most awesome looking units will be left out of the game. damn.

imagine how a carrier fleet attacking would look like with those new graphics>.<

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
i've heard that archons wont be in the new game:( and neither would be the carriers....the two most awesome looking units will be left out of the game. damn.

imagine how a carrier fleet attacking would look like with those new graphics>.<

Where did you hear this? If it was a legitimate source I would like to see this information for myself, as I'm sure several people here would. This is sad news indeed...

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
well...i forgot the site:( i was on the school computers trying to find a loophole around the blocking stuff, and i stumbled upon it. apparently it was quoted from blizzard that there would be no more archons, dark archons, carriers and i think firebats.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
Each race should have something that specifies what it is. The mothership is the embodiment of the protoss: terribly expensive, supreme firepower, massive abilities, and stand-alone. The zerg will likely have thier traditional massing and will have something that exemplifies that (better spawn broodlings abilities perhaps?). Terrans... are a little tougher to define. They are more balanced in their ways. Perhaps a mobile bunker of sorts? Load them all into your heavily armored vehicles and mop up some zerglings.

moblie bunker... how would that work? it would be pretty badass for armored APC's to carry in a squad of marines who shoot out little slits, if thats what u were thinkin, but idk, i'd like to see some new goliaths man, and more of the sorts, (im a mech fan) mabe a new scout instead of the less popular vulture, a quick little rolling, or hovering mech, that has machine guns and mines. If any of you have ever played chrome hounds for the Xbox 360, you know how kikassbadfuck mechs can be, and they can fit many role-types in battle.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
what does that have to do with the ultimate for each race?
stay focused man

I'd like to see some sort of nydus creature with combat abilities for the zerg w/out it turning into "a race to the finish" as blades put it, any ideas feel free to chip in, i just opened a thread called nydus beast